I borrowed a great book from the library, 200 Crochet Blocks by Jan Eaton, and I’m using some of the designs in my City Square yarn bomb. I really like these squares with star and waterlily motifs but I’m wondering if they make the squares I did earlier look crap in comparison?
I’m also having some problems with measurements. The earlier squares were 13 cm x 13 cm; these newer ones are 15 cm x 15 cm. I’m planning to make my rows up out of either five small squares (65 cm across) or four of the bigger ones (60 cm across). Obviously this will lead to rows of different widths, which is no good. My solution, I think, will be to add a border to the larger squares to bring them up to just over 16 cm x 16 cm (meaning four across comes up to 65 cm in width), or to loom some small pieces to fill in the gaps. I’ll figure it out nearer the time.
At the moment my main concern is the length of the piece as a whole. It’s currently on 1.08 m, which took five weeks to do. It needs to be 4 m in total so let’s approximate by saying I need to do three times as much again. I want to finish by the end of the year but there are only 11 weeks to go, not the 15 I need if I continue at the same rate. So I need to pick up the pace a little.
From now on I’m going to aim for 16 cm x 16 cm squares and I reckon I need around 76 of them to complete the piece. That means I need to produce 7 squares a week, or one per day.
This is going to be quite a challenge but I think if I put some serious time in at the weekends it should be all right.