I think one of the reasons that my NaNoWriMo-ing has been going so well is that I spent some time in October working out my plot. I was struggling with flow diagrams for a while before I hit on a great way to get an overview of what is happening in my novel. I took a square of paper for each scene and wrote out some notes reminding me which characters were in that scene and what piece of information had to be conveyed to the reader. I then arranged the pieces of paper in ten columns, each column representing a week in novel time.
You can see my plot pieces in the photo. The bits of paper at the bottom detail scenes that I haven’t found a place for yet. I will be able to rearrange the pieces of paper, or add and remove pieces, to reflect changes in the plot as I am writing. I believe there is writing software that allows you to do this sort of plotting electronically but I am enjoying messing around with my bits of paper. The only worry is that a rogue gust of wind might snatch them away so I am keeping the windows in my room firmly closed.